Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Weekend away

We went away to Sydney for the weekend. It was the Queen’s Birthday long weekend here in Victoria. And most states of Australia, except for Western Australia, but they have failed to matter since the thirties when they tried to move back to being a British colony, instead of part of the Australian Commonwealth.

The reason for this jaunt was that St Kilda was playing the Sydney Swans and a friend and I thought it would be good fun. And a trip away, is a trip away.

Anyway another friend and her husband and their parents came along also. The more the merrier.

We stayed at the Sheraton on the Park. It was very swish. Fancy indeed. This was our room. The trip reports on Trip Advisor are a bit up and down. We found it be OK. The air conditioning was up full blast hot when we came in, they knew we were from Melbourne, but that was just silly. The only drama we had was when my partner ordered pancakes for breakfast and instead of that was given the full breakfast. Not being a complainer (they don’t know her), she soldiered on and ate what she could of the breakfast. It was a bit stuffy though and you couldn’t open the windows. We did order a maxi cab for the trip to the airport on Sunday, which never turned up. Not their fault I suppose.

I heard a person at the reception complaining about something in their room when we were checking out. People have high expectations I think. I stay in motels in rural and regional Victoria as part of my work. These places are basic to say the least. I try to get a Best Western if available, and these are suffice for me. The Sheraton is just an upgraded version of these. You get the same basic thing, but they are only flasher. I try not to expect too much, so I don’t end up disappointed. Try staying in the Dimboola Motel or the Mallacoota Hotel on a winter’s night for a comparison. Whingers.

The flight from Melbourne to Sydney was rather uneventful, but full. We got into the Qantas club, kicked back and flew in. We trained it to the hotel and went for a walk around Sydney in the afternoon, as it was nearly 5 when we got in. We did go to this great hobby shop. That is one cool place. I would be doubtful if there were more dorks in one area anywhere else in Sydney. I was proud to be part of that throng!

On the Friday night the seven of us went for a feed at Star City’s Astral Restaurant for a feed. I am not one for hyperbole, but this is a great place and well worth your custom. The views are excellent, the service not too intrusive and the food magnificent. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a meal in Sydney more. And if I may, made all the better by the company. It was late when we left the great restaurant, so it was off to bed for me.

On the Saturday morning we trekked over to Darling Harbour for breakfast. Serviceable. My partner and I then went on a trek around Sydney. I enjoyed it. Until the death march across the bridge (more photos at my Flickr site). See left. She, with her female charms made me walk across the Harbour Bridge. No biggie there. But she dropped it that she wanted to walk back the other way. Nope. She said she wanted to see the view from the other side, I retorted thus: “you should have turned around then”. We got the train back the other way.

Then there was more walking. I honestly can’t remember where we went, but I do remember a beer in a hotel. Actually there was more than one. There were lots and Sydney serves schooners, not pots, and they are refreshing! A ferry ride was reversed to get back to Circular Quay. I prefer the Frankston dialect of saying Quay as kway. Charming.

It was back the hotel for a quick sleep then off to the footy. St Kilda won Sydney didn’t. Although we were lucky to win. There was a young street tough (at least 12) who kept giving my mate a greasy each time he walked past, which was every 10 minutes (not really, but it seemed like that). I am sure he was secretly attracted to this friend and had to go to the toilet for other reasons. Boys know why.

The football was good. It was wet and there was a shit fight trying to get a cab. But Action Man came to the rescue and got a maxi cab for the seven of us. It only took like an hour to get from the SCG to the Sheraton. Not suitable Sydney.

Anyway, we had a few drinks that night and went to bed. Sunday was the last day and we went out for a coffee and a walk around. My partner ordered pancakes, but ended up with a full breakfast. What’s up with that? That wouldn’t happen at the Dimboola Motel.

So we had some scones at the QV building and got cabs to the airport. The flight out was rough. I thought I was going to have a little vomit at one stage. But I sat there and read my book, stoically.

That was about it. A lovely trip, made all the better by the enjoyable company. If St Kilda is going to thump Sydney again next year, we might have to go up there again. I could get used to staying in the Sheraton. So much nicer than the Dimboola Hotel, and the freaky owner wasn’t always hanging around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home