Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Here comes wireless

Hello again dear reader.

I had to get a laptop for work. That's a long story in itself and one I won't go into here.

Anyway... I've got one. I use it at work, but I have dial up through Alphalink. It's pretty good, but slow. If I was to wait around for this stuff to load up, I'd be older than I am now.

So I decided to get into wireless broadband. My partner is studying for her Master of Arts (I've already got one of those), and she is often on the one phone line we have. The solution was for me to get wireless broadband. So I did.

Telstra has come to the rescue again. It should be all right. But as I am not the person who has the home phone account in thier name, dramas are expected.

Mainly for me. Telstra is hopeless. Useless idiots, I told the nice lady (Hannah) where to send it and to whom. Turns out, it came here, with my partner's name in it and only a partial address. Lucky there are nice people on the floor otherwise I would have never seen it.

Tonight I will attempt to set it up. Should be great fun (yawn). Jeez the antenna thingo looks a bit cheap. The Optus one looked a lot sturdier. Will have to see.

But the idea of getting the wireless in the first place, is that they are merging all our internet stuff here into a server in Sydney. We suspect it is so they can monitor what we are up to. Would not be the least bit surprised if this is the case.

With the wireless card, I can do my surfing at home, and with the 20 hours of downloads a month, it should be hunky dory. There are a few things I want to look at on a regular basis (not the hun!) and the only way I can do it without alerting people is doing it at home.

And the wireless connection means I don't have to sit in the cold study to see what's out there. Excellent. I will report more later, Captain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home