Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Google Glass

Most know I am a bit of a geek. 

I also am pretty heavily invested in the Google world, I use GDrive, Android phone, and Gmail.  If I could get one, I'd probably use a Chrome Book as well.

Google are about to release Glass.  I have mixed feelings about this. It seems like a good way to get directions and maybe some notifications, but shit, I'd want to get away from this.  With a phone you can turn that off or simply not look at it.  But with a thing over your eye, it's kind of an obligation to look at it.

I can see the benefit of using it to get instructions while driving, but with distractions all around with phones, email, texts, you'd have to turn all this shit off.  I can also understand using it on a bike, powered or pedal.  It would be a great way to get the navigation directions without potentially, taking your eyes off the road. 

What gets me, is that unless they release a means of having the ability to attach to prescription glasses, they can fuck off.  I wear glasses, and if they want me to wear these, they would have to offer it as an easily removable arm for when I want to use Glass. No doubt Google are doing some deal with some glasses manufacturer to do this, but it would have to come in at a good price, decent frames and easily removable.  I have normal glasses, plus prescription sunglasses for the car.  In order for me to use Glass, the manufacturer would have to make it easy to swap and to store the actual device.

Would I want to walk around with a bit of clear plastic hanging off my glasses?  People who don't wear glasses probably wouldn't mind, especially if they are hipsters riding fixedies with beards and tight pants.  Me, unless it is easily added and removed, forget about it. 

Time will tell, but Google, that's your challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home